Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Response to The September Issue

I'm going to comment on The September Issue, surprising, I know! I have wanted to see the movie for quite some time, but I never got around to it. After watching the majority of it today in class, I'm now eager to see how it ends. I have to say, some of the stereotypes that The Devil Wears Prada instilled in me about editors at large magazine publications seems to ring true in The September Issue as well. I felt a sense of compassion towards Grace Coddington. As a creative mind, I know that I would take it hard if someone picked apart what I felt so strongly about. In particular, I loved Grace's twenties inspired look and personally loved the vintage feel of the photo shoot, however Anna Wintour, editor-in-chief, did not. Since Anna and Grace had worked at Vogue for nearly the same length of time, it would be difficult not to feel as though Anna was cutting you down when really you should be equals. Realistically speaking, that's the truth. Everything in the magazine world isn't fair, and people will always find something wrong with something that you do. There is always going to be someone of higher ranking that is there to critique your creative mind.

The important thing to keep in mind throughout a career in the magazine industry, and a thing that I am currently struggling to keep in mind, is that you must always trust your mind and push things a little further than you feel comfortable doing. No one is going to like everything that you do - hey, some people might not like anything that you do, but the important thing is that you keep on doing it.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know about you, but I was baffled by the idea that people quit because they couldn't take their ideas being rejected. I like to think that we designers are artists in a digital, and practical way. Artists have been rejected for centuries, so I kind of expect that going into the industry. That isn't to say my ego won't get bruised, but I hope I can keep it together out in the real world.

    ReplyDelete