Wednesday, January 25, 2012

You can't miss these letters

I love typography and I've always been a huge fan of those picture frames that spell out words with photos of different letters from various places.  On Pinterest one day, I found this awesome blog that has dozens of these photographs, such as the one listed above of the name Armstrong, so that you are able to create your own.  I think that this is a very interesting take on the idea of typography and shows the versatility is all around us if we just stop and take a simple look.

The blog that I'm reporting on this semester, Eye Blog, also addresses the idea of typography today highlighting the idea that serifs are the new sans. While this does offer a change in what we're used to in the design world, it is also trending towards making all things much more similar. "New designs are calmly considered and updated replete with the ‘accessories’ (true italics, non-lining figures, language extensions, etc.) increasingly expected by the market," said Eye Blog on Tuesday's post.  This is one of the pictures that they posted of a new font called Samba Bold, which I love.   It's sassy and fun and unexpected.  Although there is repetition, I love that even the same letters (take a look at the As) even appear a little different.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for typography! I have to admit though, I'm still not a huge fan of serifs unless it's for like body text. I do enjoy that Samba though for highlighting a certain word. I don't think it's very practical for an entire headline or anything, but the variations in the letters are definitely a cool concept. Also, Pinterest rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the first set of letters. Mostly it reminds me of this thing at the bookstore where they have taken images from around campus, zoomed in, and found hidden letters within the images. They spell out things like MIZZOU and TIGERS, but I like the idea of applying the concept to other words.

    ReplyDelete