Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Critique: Vignettes

After the Vox staff meeting on Monday, we met for another 25-30 minutes to brainstorm titles for the vignettes feature that will be printed next week. It was, and still is, difficult to come up with something that encompasses all seven stories without highlighting one story over another for a title, so it's even more difficult to come up with a cover that will present the package as a whole instead of individual stories. I liked the covers that I presented last week, especially the Polaroid one, but Timmy wasn't too fond of it, which I completely understand from a photographers standpoint. So then, I was stuck trying to come up with something that everyone would be happy with.

I decided to stick with the head "The ties that bond." And I chose to play up cutouts of the photos (I don't mean to steal your cut-outs thunder Krista!) with a outline of the state of Missouri in the background.


I haven't put in the key pieces yet, but you'll all get to see that tomorrow in class. I'm also still working with the background; it won't be white, but I can't decide what exactly I want to do with it. This is something a little out of the box for me, but I'm happy that I did it and I'm pleased with the way that it's coming along so far. I guess here's a leap of faith!

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the Missouri state cut out. Really cool way of incorporating your original designs together. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The state cut out was such a great idea! Here, it looks so crisp. Then with the (seemingly random) cut outs framing the state, it draws you in and makes you think "What's this all about?" Way to think outside of the box with this. It was definitely a tough cover to design.

    ReplyDelete