Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Response: Portfolio meetings

So, as the rest of you all did, I met with Jan and Theresa to discuss how I should present my portfolio and what pieces should be included. One interesting thing that I loved was that Jan took the time to think about which pieces would fit well into a portfolio for the specific places that I plan to move (either Austin or Phoenix). It is interesting to think about the fact that each part of the country, and the world for that matter, has a specific design style. What would work for applying at a Mid-West magazine wouldn't work as well for a California magazine.

After looking over the large samples of work that I brought with me, I was surprised to find that I lacked photo stories. To me, photos have always been something that was easier for me (easier than typography or illustrations). But, I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised that my portfolio is now filled with a number of things that I used to consider myself horrible at. It's also astonishing to see the great change between my work from the beginning of the semester and my work now. I'm happy that I'm progressing and I'm super excited to put my portfolio together.

Katie Landis got her hands on some old design students' portfolios...SCORE. So now I have an idea in mind for what I want my portfolio to look like. Having them in an actual book printed in full color makes me so excited, and makes them look so professional and polished -- I just hope my future interviewers feel the same...

No comments:

Post a Comment