Wednesday, March 21, 2012

You Can't Miss: Graphic design books

At the beginning of this semester, I was so excited when I picked up my books! (Nerdy? Maybe.) All of the books were so colorfully and beautifully designed, so I was sure that I was going to enjoy them much more than my political science books from the past couple of years. As an avid Amazon buyer, I often buy books there because they're much cheaper than retail book stores. Much to my delight (and my wallet's dismay), there is a plethora of graphic design books just begging for my attention. But, with all of these books, how do I choose which ones to read and which ones to pass up? And how do our teachers select which books will be most beneficial to our learning?

Thankfully, Eye Blog addresses this issue in this week's post, and note that there has been a dramatic increase in graphic design publications, but much of this info can be found on the web now. "However, as Clifford Lynch reminds us, access to information and access to education do not necessarily equate to the same thing," says Eye Blog. Which is very true. Although Youtube video tutorials are very helpful when we want to learn a specific task very quickly, it's not the same as the information that you gather in class. Quite frankly, it's much easier to learn things in class than it is from online stuff (for me at least). So it's important that we take full advantage of the great opportunities that the J-School is filling our brains with.
A book that was once commonly used to educate graphic designers about the history of graphic design; via Eye Blog.  

Here's a couple  of books that I found on Amazon that I intend to check out over the summer (while I'm taking a break from school [forever] and saving up some money to move out and find a big girl job):

Photo from Amazon

Photo from Amazon
Photo from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment