Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Response to magazine prototype presentation

Last night, my group for remodeling presented our designs to our group, John Fennell, Jan and Theresa.  There were two other designers in my group, and it was very interesting to see how different all of our approaches to designing the magazine were.  Our group ended up picking Katie's designs (which were so awesome that I can't even be the slightest bit bitter...good work!!!).  She took an Esquire-esque approach to her cover, table of contents and page layouts.  This was rather interesting, because she focused on typography (which Esquire does oh-so-well).  However, the magazine is a remodeling magazine.  This could be a new break through for this side of the industry! Yay! But it is awesome to see something that is more fashion-based transfer over to the home design side of magazine publications. 

As for the presentation itself, it was challenging for me. I have a problem trying to get my thoughts about my designs to come across in the right way.  Sometimes, what makes sense to me doesn't make sense to others.  And all too often as I'm beginning to see, sometimes what makes sense in the design world doesn't exactly make sense to the world of writers.  I think it's a great skill to be able to clearly and accurately explain (and maybe even defend, sometimes) your designs, and it is something that I'm sure I will run into many many many times in the future.  This is something that I want to work on throughout the duration of the semester, and I tool I'd love to put in my journalistic toolbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment