Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Response: magazine presentations

Today, each group presented their magazine designs to the class. This was very interesting to see, especially because some of the magazines have similar content as another magazine (for example food or home) however they were designed very differently. It is important to note how much of an influence the art directors had on the design of the magazine. I know that for me, it was difficult for me to design while keeping someone else's style in mind, but it was a challenge that I liked. When we enter the world of consumer magazines, it is very likely that we will be designing under a certain set of rules. We have to do this in our Vox department pages, but it is much different when you are trying to design multiple pages and departments.

It was also pretty interesting to hear the publisher's feelings towards what our designs should and should not be. It makes me realize how very different the minds of designers are than the minds of writers (no wonder I struggled with all of my writing classes so much). Although many ideas were presented and developed, those ideas may not translate well into print. I can't help but think of Nick's group, and how they didn't want a "logo." I heard about this weeks ago, but it still doesn't sit well in my mind. Although the outside world may not realize it, nearly everything has a logo, even if it may look like simple type. It is somewhat of a challenge to pull away some design elements that we put our time and effort into and have our ideas shut down.

Overall, it's interesting to me to see the compilation of a small group of people's ideas come to one. We all have very different backgrounds and skills, so it's interesting to see how they will all come together to create one polished product.  I can't wait for our trip next month, and to see the finished designs!

No comments:

Post a Comment